What is a CPSR?
CPSR is an abbreviation for Cosmetic Product Safety Report
When we assess your products, you receive a Cosmetic Product Safety Report. Sometimes you will hear that document referred to as an assessment report or as a certificate. The process of obtaining the CPSR is usually known as assessment.
It is this document that is required under the UK and EU cosmetic regulations to enable you to legally sell your Cosmetic products and it is written using your exact recipes.
Here is the technical explanation of a CPSR;
The Cosmetic Product Safety Report takes the form of two distinct sections, Parts A & B as specified by Regulation EU 1223/2009 for the EU and for Schedule 34 of The Product Safety and Metrology etc. (Amendment etc.) (EU Exit) Regulation, for the UK.
PART A – Cosmetic product safety information
1. Quantitative and qualitative composition of the product
2. Physical/chemical characteristics and stability of the cosmetic product
3. Microbiological quality
4. Impurities, traces, information about the packaging material
5. Normal and reasonably foreseeable use
6. Exposure to the cosmetic product
7. Exposure to the substances
8. Toxicological profile of the substances
9. Undesirable effects and serious undesirable effects
10. Information on the cosmetic product
PART B – Cosmetic product safety assessment
1. Assessment conclusion
2. Labelled warnings and instructions of use
4. Assessor’s credentials and approval of part B
As a cosmetic seller, your obligations extend beyond product sales. The Cosmetic Product Safety Report (CPSR) is not only a requirement but is also central to every aspect of your responsibilities. It serves as a cornerstone for compliance, and we, as your partners, are here to guide you through this critical process.
Beyond the CPSR, you will need to ensure that your record keeping and labelling are compliant. To empower you in meeting your obligations, we offer a wealth of ongoing support, even after you have received your CPSR.
Our free, comprehensive guides cover compliant labelling, Good Manufacturing Practice, Product Information Files and more, ensuring that you can confidently and legally sell your products.
Moreover, our dedicated members' area provides additional resources to bolster your success. Inside, you'll find downloadable guides on utilising the UK SCPN Portal effectively and a comprehensive allergen calculator. We are committed to supporting you at every step, ensuring that you not only meet the regulatory requirements but excel in all facets of your cosmetic business.